City Hall Reopened with Limited Hours
Due to COVID-19, the City implemented measures to limit in-person contact by closing City Hall. On Monday, June 15, 2020, City Hall was reopened to walk-in business. City Hall hours for the initial period are Monday - Friday from 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. We continue to encourage online and phone contact as much as possible.
Online/Phone Contact Encouraged
Most of the services offered by Community Development are available remotely. We encourage you to take advantage of these at your convenience.
- General Information: Contact Keala Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call #707-822-5955
- Planning and Land Use, Zoning, or Development Standards: Contact Joe Mateer at email@example.com or call #707-822-5955
- Commercial Cannabis Activity Permits: Email Susan Diehl McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Loans: Email Susan Diehl McCarthy at email@example.com
- Foodworks Culinary Center: Contact Jennifer Dart at firstname.lastname@example.org or call #707-825-2112
- Housing Programs: Contact Jennifer Dart at email@example.com or call #707-825-2112
- Contact the Director: Contact David Loya at firstname.lastname@example.org or call #707-825-2045
Contact a Planner by Zoom Video
Our City Planners are now available by Zoom!
- Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
If you have a land use or planning question, click on the following link to speak with a Planner using the Zoom Video Communications platform: https://zoom.us/j/91536257276.
If your device does not have audio connection, use the following phone number to connect by audio: #669-900-6833.
Services Offered by the Community Development Department
The City of Arcata’s Community Development department manages the following areas that focus on sustainable growth and enhancing the City’s character, availability of all types of housing, and support and growth of the City’s economy.
The Planning Division manages several vital City functions. Long range planning, which includes areas such as Land Use Code, Zoning, and elements of the City’s General Plan, reflect the City Council’s vision and provide the foundation for growth and character of the City. Shorter range plans include study and preparation for issues such as Sea Level Rise. Planning is also responsible for the implementation of the Land Use Code in permitting, design review, historic properties, and annexations.
Planner Counter Hours: Suspended Until Further Notice
While City Hall is closed to the public, the City’s Planners are still available for assistance by email or phone. Please email email@example.com or leave a message at #707-822-5955, and a Planner will get in touch with you.
Please visit our Planning Division page for information on Planning Permits, Historic Preservation, Regulations, and Major Development Projects that are managed by the Planning Division and are currently in various permitting, planning, or environmental review phases.
Supporting a variety of housing opportunities in the City of Arcata is a primary goal of the City Council. The Housing Division uses grant funding and program income to provide affordable housing opportunities, and collaborates with Planning Division staff to assist developers of affordable and market rate housing projects.
The Housing Division also handles:
- Tenant-Based Rental Assistance ("TBRA")
- Substandard Housing
- Mobilehome Rent Stabilization Ordinance
- Housing Projects
- Multi-Family Housing
- Permanent Supportive Housing
Economic Development is the business of growing and supporting business, and the Economic Development Division oversee programs designed to promote healthy business in the City of Arcata such as:
- Business Assistance Loan Program
- Microenterprise Loan Program
- EPA Brownfields Program
The Foodworks Culinary Center is an incubator for small food manufacturers. Food producers rent the food-grade quality facility on a monthly or per-use basis, and have use of storage and equipment necessary for the high quality foodstuffs manufactured in Arcata.
Cannabis retail sales and service regulations went into effect on July 6, 2018 through Ordinance #1501. The City is accepting applications for cannabis retail sales and services in the zoning areas shown below.