Permits / Licenses

Alarm Permits
Alarm permits are required for all alarm systems within the City of Arcata, except those affixed to vehicles. Alarm permits must be renewed annually for a nominal fee. Alarm Permit applications (PDF) are available online or at the Police Department office.

Alcohol Permits
A separate permit is required if alcohol is to be served at a dance or event open to the public. The actual permit is issued by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control in Eureka at the following address:
1105 6th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone: 707-445-7229
Fax: 707-445-6643

Bicycle License
A bicycle license is required to operate your bicycle on any highway, road, or other public property. If you purchased a license in another jurisdiction, the license is effective statewide. California Bike licenses can be purchased from the Arcata Police Department Business Office during the normal business hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Dance Permits
The Arcata Municipal Code requires a dance permit for any public dance. Dance Permit applications (PDF) may be obtained online or at the Arcata Police Department. To avoid last minute problems, we ask event organizers give a minimum of 2 weeks advance notice before submitting a dance permit request.

Dance permits enable our staff to work with event organizers to plan events with minimum noise and crowd disruptions to the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses. Dance permits also provide advance information to our staff when additional police personnel resources may be needed, especially for large events

Depending on the venue and the activities taking place, event organizers may need additional permits such as a one day ABC license to sell alcoholic beverages, a building permit or approval from the Fire Marshall.

Dog Licenses
Dog licenses may be obtained through the Finance Department.