Parking in Arcata
The parking near downtown Arcata and near the Humboldt State University campus is in high demand by residents, students, and visitors. To ensure access to the downtown and campus areas is available to all on an equitable basis, the City of Arcata has created several specific parking zones.
All of these zones and other parking restrictions are posted by signs on each block to help those visiting these high-traffic areas determine where they may park within the city and for how long. Pay close attention to hours of enforcement on the various signs. When no hours of enforcement are listed, the signs are always in effect.
In addition to parking restrictions designated by signs and curb markings, residents need to be aware that the parking limit on any City street is 72 hours. Vehicles left longer than this without being moved may be tagged as abandoned and towed at the City’s discretion thereafter.
Parking Lots & Zones
The various parking zones (PDF) within the City of Arcata are as follows:
Posted by signs (white with green lettering) throughout the downtown and north town areas enforced between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. except Sundays.
There is a 4-hour parking lot located at the corner of 8th and F Street.
There is an 8-hour parking lot located at the corner of 7th and G Street.
Four-hour zones are posted with signs throughout the Downtown, North Town, and HSU areas. With the exception of the 11th Street overpass and F Street between 7th and 8th Streets and 9th through 11th Streets, these are enforced between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Metered zones in the HSU area operate from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Rates and times of operation are posted on the meters.
You can pay for metered parking using the ParkMobile app.
- Red: Red indicates no stopping, standing, or parking, whether the vehicle is attended or unattended.
- Yellow: Yellow indicates stopping only for the purpose of loading or unloading passengers or freight.
- White: White indicates stopping for loading or unloading of passengers or depositing mail in an adjacent mailbox.
- Green: Green indicates time limit parking (generally 20 minutes).
- Blue: Blue indicates parking limited exclusively to the vehicles of disabled persons and disabled veterans.