Insurance Requirements

Insurance is required for the following:
  • Contractors
  • Encroachment Permits
  • Facilities Rentals
  • Oversized Load Transportation Permits
  • Special Event Permits
Prior to the beginning of and throughout the duration of any work, contract, permit, facility rental, event or use of property with the City of Arcata, the person, contractor, group or organization must maintain insurance and endorsements in conformance with all requirements as set forth in the signed contract or permit with the City of Arcata. Insurance is to be placed with insurers with a current A.M. Best Company rating of no less than A:VII.

Certificate of General Liability Insurance & Endorsements
A minimum of $2 million per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage including operations, products and completed operations. If Commercial General Liability Insurance or other form with a general aggregate limit is used, either the general aggregate limit shall apply separately to the project/location or the general aggregate limit shall be twice the required occurrence limit.

Depending on type of contract or permit, the City of Arcata may require the following provisions be included (see specific contract/permit language):
  • Additionally Insured Language: "The City of Arcata, its elected or appointed officers, officials, employees and volunteers, 736 F Street, Arcata, CA 95521."
  • Description of Operations / Premises: Provide a description of the operations, location and dates. "Operations" includes the named insured's products.
  • Primary Language: The insurance shall be primary as respects the insured shown in the schedule, or if excess, shall stand in an unbroken chain of coverage excess of the Named Insured's schedule underlying primary coverage. In either event, any other insurance maintained by the Insured shall be in excess of this insurance and shall not be called upon to contribute with it.
  • Property Insurance Policy: If any, the City must be named a loss payee and waive all rights of subrogation against the City.
  • Workers' Compensation Insurer: If any, agrees to waive all rights of subrogation against the City for injuries to employees of the insured resulting from work for the City or use of the City's premises for facilities.
  • Liquor Liability: If alcohol is sold at an event, the event holder must also have liquor liability insurance, for which the City is also added as additionally insured.
  • Cancellation Language: The insurance afforded by this policy shall not be cancelled except after thirty (30) days prior written notice by certified mail has been given to the entity.
  • Endorsements: The required insurance certificate and endorsements must be executed by the insurance carrier on the City Forms as provided below, or your carrier may submit its company forms as long as they contain the exact language as indicated on the City forms.
  • Workers' Compensation Insurance: If employees: on state-approved policy form providing statutory benefits as required by law with employer's liability limits no less than $1 million per accident for all covered losses.
  • Automobile Liability: Limits are subject to review, but in no event to be less than $1 million per accident. If consultant, contractor, agency or organization owns no vehicles, this requirement may be satisfied by a non-owned auto endorsement to the general liability policy. If the consultant, contractor, person or organization, their employees or volunteers, will use personal autos in any way, evidence of personal auto insurance coverage shall be provided.