Brett Watson, Vice-Mayor
About Brett Watson
I moved to Humboldt County in 2006 to attend HSU. I immediately fell in love with Arcata and was blessed enough to relocate here in 2010 after graduating with a BS in Forestry, and an Environmental Ethics Minor.
Two years in a row, I managed Zero Waste Humboldt’s collection efforts in the North Country Fair, donating my time, resources, and staff to help make the event a Zero Waste success.
I take pride in having owned and operated my small business in Arcata for over five years.
I’m mainly interested in helping seniors and students, continuing progress on Zero Waste goals, and diversifying Arcata’s economy. I believe it’s important to balance embracing HSU, environmental tourism, and other sectors of the economy, while keeping sustainability at the forefront of Arcata’s economic goals. I believe Arcata has taken meaningful action on safety concerns, and I’d like to help continue progress in that regard.
Arcata City Council Service
- Appointed by Council to fill a vacancy on April 13, 2017.
- Sworn in on April 19, 2017.
- Vice-Mayor: 2018
- President, Humboldt Manufacturing
- Partner, HumBot 707 Tech Solutions
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry
- Minor in Environmental Ethics
Member of City & Other Regional Committees
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District, Water Quality Task Force (2017)
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt-Del Norte Hazardous Materials Response Joint Powers Authority (2017)
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt County Indian Gaming Local Community Benefit Committee (2017)
- Alternate City Council Representative to the League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division Legislative Committee (2017)
- Alternate City Council Representative to the League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division Business Meetings (2017)
- Alternate City Council Representative to the Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (RREDC) (2017)
- City Council Liaison to the Arcata Chamber of Commerce (2017)
- Alternate City Council Liaison to the Arcata Downtown Business Community - Arcata Main Street (2017)
Other Community Service
- Arcata Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary Volunteer
- Weekly "Tech with Brett" Facilitator helping seniors with technology needs at the Arcata Community Center
Past Community Service
- Economic Development Committee, served 2 years as chair (2012-17)
- Board Member, Arcata Main Street
- Board Member, Zero Waste Humboldt
- President and National Co-Chair, Humboldt State University’s Student Association for Fire Ecology
- President, Society of American Foresters (Humboldt State University Chapter)