Planning permits are required for activities from removing one tree to building a new commercial building or developing a subdivision.
Planning permit processes and fees vary depending on the approval authority for the project. A nonrefundable minimum deposit is collected at the time of application, and staff time and costs are charged against the deposit. When the deposit is exhausted, customers are billed.
There are six general categories of permits:
- Administrative Actions (such as Ministerial Tree Removals and Zoning Clearances)
- Zoning Administrator or Director Actions - No Hearing (such as Lot Line Adjustments and Parcel Mergers)
- Zoning Administrator Action - Hearing (such as Minor Use Permits, Parcel Maps, and Discretionary Tree Removals)
- Planning Commission - Hearing (such as Subdivisions and Use Permits)
- City Council - Hearing (such as Annexations and Zoning Map Amendments)
- Design Review & Other Permits and Actions (Including Appeals) (such as Design Review, Mill Act Enrollment, and Appeals)
Arcata City Hall
736 F Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Planner Counter Hours for Same-Day Service
Monday - Thursday
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Contact the Director
Director, Community Development