Change your own motor oil? Get a free oil drain container

Arcata residents can get a free oil drain container from the City

Arcata DIYers can get a free, 15 quart motor oil drain pan from the City of Arcata's Environmental Services Department by coming down to City Hall and presenting an Arcata water bill, rental contract or rent receipt. These containers are sold online for up to $10 plus shipping but are free thanks to a grant from CalRecycle. Supplies are limited. Call (707) 822-8184 or email for more information. Remember, you can protect our wetlands and Bay from pollution!




June 12, 2015 


Arcata residents who change their own motor oil can pick up a 15 quart drain container from the City of Arcata, thanks to a generous grant from CalRecycle. The FloTool drain container sells for about $10 plus shipping online and is available for free to people living within Arcata City limits.

Used motor oil accounts for more than 40 percent of the total oil pollution in American harbors and waterways. One quart of oil dumped down a storm drain contaminates a quarter million gallons of water. On the other hand, recycling used motor oil keeps oil out of our water, sewer systems and soil, and saves energy. Rerefining a quart of oil takes less energy than producing a virgin quart.

Do-it-yourself oil changers receive 16 cents for every gallon of used oil at Franklin’s Service, 1903 Heindon Road in Arcata on Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Humboldt Waste Management Authority at 1059 West Hawthorne Street in Eureka also pays for used oil. If antifreeze, water or transmission fluid has contaminated the oil, HWMA’s Household Hazardous Waste facility at the same Eureka address will dispose of it safely for a small fee. Call HWMA at (707) 441-2005 for hours and more information.

Pick up a free oil drain container at Arcata City Hall’s Environmental Services Department, 736 F Street, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Bring a City water bill or receipt, or a rental contract or rent receipt to prove Arcata residency. For more information call (707) 822-8184 or