Mark Wheetley, Vice-Mayor
Phone: (707) 822-5953
Fax: (707) 822-8018
Write: 736 F Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Elected: March 2005
Re-Elected: November 2006
Re-Elected: November 2010
Current Term Expires: December 2014
I live with my family in Arcata's historic Bayview neighborhood and for 20 years have made this town my home. I began my professional career in the City of Arcata's Planning and Public Works Departments, moving on to the California Coastal Commission and California Coastal Conservancy. Today, I facilitate watershed restoration efforts throughout the north coast region.
The mantra of my conservancy work is to facilitate conflict resolution and the building of public-private partnerships. It is delicate work addressing cultural, commercial, environmental and infrastructure needs for conflicted federal, state and local governments, nonprofits and private industry.
My civic life is focused on bringing innovative and collaborative approaches to City projects. We are a community of optimism and energy. Arcata requires our attention if we are to preserve and improve the quality of life for all members of this community.
Arcata City Council Service
Council Member: 2005–present
Mayor: 2008, 2009
Vice-Mayor: 2007, 2013
Senior Biologist Specialist or "Basin Planner" for California Department of Fish and Game.
Bachelor of Science in Geography and Natural Resources Planning and Interpretation, Humboldt State University.
Member of City and Regional Committees
- Alternate City Council Liaison to the Humboldt State University/City Liaisons Working Group (2013)
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt-Del Norte Hazardous Materials Response JPA (2011–2013)
- Alternate City Council Representative to the Indian Gaming Fund Committee (2012-2013)
- Alternate City Council Representative to Humboldt County Association of Governments (2013)
Other Community Service
- Advisory Board Member, Making Headway, a support organization for brain injury recovery and family support. My son has cerebral palsy. (2006–present)
- Advisory Board Member, Redwood Regional Watershed Center (2003–present)
- Coach for numerous youth soccer teams and summer camps over the past 30 years
Past Community Service
- City Council Liaison to the Arcata Chamber of Commerce (2012-2013)
- City Council Liaison to the Arcata Downtown Business Community–Arcata Main Street (2011–2012)
- Alternate City Council Representative to Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (2012)
- City Council Representative to Redwood Coast Energy Authority (2012)
- Member of the California Association of Councils of Government (2010)
- Member of the Community Service Policy Committee, Redwood Empire Division, League of California Cities (2009–2010)
- City Council Representative to and Chair of the Humboldt County Association of Governments (2008–2010)
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District, Water Quality Task Force (2008–2009, 2011)
- City Council Representative to the Indian Gaming Committee (2010–2011)
- City Council Liaison to the Humboldt State University/City of Arcata Working Group (2008–2009)
- City Council Representative to Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (2008–2009)
- Executive Board Member, Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (2006–2009)