Samoa Gateway Improvement Project
|Project Summary||Project Timeline||Project Status||FAQs|
Below is a list of commonly asked questions related to the Samoa Gateway Improvement Project. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact our Public Works Department at (707) 822-5957 during normal business hours.
- How long will the project take to complete?
- The project is expected to be completed by the summer of 2013.
- How is this project being funded?
- The majority of the funding is from a Transportation Enhancement Act (TEA) grant and an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) grant. Some local grant funding was received for the project, particularly for Phase II.
- What is Phase I?
- Phase I consists primarily of streetscape improvements which include curbs, gutters, sidewalks, lighting, medians and crosswalks as well as asphalt overlay and street striping. The primary focus of Phase I is infrastructure.
- What is Phase II?
- Phase II consists of aesthetic elements which will involve landscape planting, irrigation systems, decorative lighting, traffic and informational signage as well as art zones.
- What kind of traffic delays are expected?
- Traffic should be open almost all of the time but limited to one lane in each direction on Samoa Boulevard. Although not desired, traffic may be detoured onto K Street if conditions warrant.
- Who is doing the construction on this project?
- The construction contract for Phase I has been awarded to Eureka-based RAO Construction.
- Who is managing this project?
- The City of Arcata awarded construction management of this project to Winzler & Kelly, working out of their Eureka, California office.