Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I register for a program?

A: There are multiple ways to register:

1.    Online: Please call us if you need your User name and/or password emailed to you.
2.    In Person:  We are open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (we do not close for lunch). Our address is 736 F Street, Arcata .
3.    By Phone: (707)822-7091
4.    By Mail: 736 F Street, Arcata, California 95521.
Please note: When registering by phone, we must have a registration form on file. If your child has not participated in any Arcata Recreation programs in the current year, then we need a new form.  All  participants must have a current registration form completed  each year. You can save time by emailing a registration form to, or by fax (707) 825-2118, and then call our office.

Q: What is your cancellation policy?

A: Click Here to read about our Cancellation and Refund/Credit Policy. 

Q: Do you offer payment plans for Summer Camps?

A: Yes! To set up a payment plan, you must pay for your child’s 1st week of camp in full. For each week remaining, a $25 non-refundable and non-transferrable deposit may be placed to hold your child’s spot. Please only sign up for camps you know your child will attend. Please review our refund and cancellation policies in detail.

Q: Do you have a program for young children that promotes socialization?

A: Definitely! We have the Arcata Play Center that meets Monday-Wednesday from 10am-noon. All children ages 0-5 are welcome. Please note that the children must be supervised by parent/or guardian at all times. The playgroup is a partnership with First 5 Humboldt and offers a safe and comfortable environment for children and parents to socialize and play. Suggested daily donation is $3.00.

Q: Does the City of Arcata have 65+ programming?

A: Definitely! The Humboldt Senior Resource Center operates a senior lunch and activity site at the Arcata Community Center at 321 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway. Lunch is served Tuesday-Friday from 11:30am-12:15pm. Activities include support groups, health assessments, exercise classes, dancing, arts & crafts and more! Please call 825-2027 or visit for more details.

Q: Are there sport leagues in Arcata?

A: Yes, depending on the season. View the fitness link on the Programs and Activities page to see what's currently being offered. Youth & adult soccer, football, & baseball/softball are organized by local non-profit groups that utilize our fields. Visit the Community Partners List to find their contact information.

Q: What is a “drop-in” program, how does this work?

A: “Drop-in” programs allow individuals the opportunity to participate in an activity for a day rather than commit to a full session or season. Examples of drop-in programs we have are exercise classes, sports (such as table tennis and basketball), leisure classes (Scrabble, Bridge), gymnastics and jujitsu. “Drop-in” fees vary depending on the activity and are paid on-site, pre-registration is not needed. 

Q: Where can I play tennis in the City of Arcata?

A: Our tennis courts are available to the public in Larson Park (901 Grant Ave.-  Grant Ave. and Eye St.)

Q: Does the City of Arcata have a skate park?

A: Yes! We have a public skate park that is located at 900 Sunset Blvd, just west of Hwy 101.

Q: How do I know if I am qualified as a resident of Arcata?

A: Anyone who has a physical address in the City of Arcata qualifies as a “resident”. You may also qualify if you own a business (however please note, that you must own a business, not just be employed in Arcata).

Q: Why must I pay a non-resident fee?

A: Arcata Recreation programs are supported by property tax payments by Arcata property owners and residents.

Q: Why must I pay a non-resident fee for my child who attends school in Arcata?

A: Although your child may attend school in Arcata, we must look at your physical address to determine which city you pay property taxes to.

Q: Do you have scholarships available?

A: Yes we do. Scholarships are offered to families that show proof of eligibility for our scholarship program “Youth Development Fund”. These funds allow families to enroll youth in their household the opportunity to participate in programs at a discounted rate.
Proof of scholarship eligibility may include “free/ reduced lunch” enrollment, a Medi-Cal card (must be in the child’s name), or a pay stub.
These scholarships are provided by annual division fundraisers and generous donations from the community. They assist with 30% of the program fee. For example, if the program costs $130, the YDF “discount” would be $39. To make a donation, please click here.

Q: What Indoor Facilities does the City rent?

A: The following facilities are available for rental:

Arcata Community Center - 321 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, Arcata
D Street Neighborhood Center - 1301 D. Street, Arcata, CA
Library Conference Room - 500 7th Street, Arcata, CA
Redwood Lodge - 490 E. Park Road, Arcata, CA (Inside Redwood Park)
Redwood Lounge - 490 E. Park Road, Arcata, CA (Inside Redwood Park)

Q: What are the rates for renting indoor facilities?

A: You can read more about the pricing and terms of renting each indoor facility by visiting their links on the Rental Facilities and Permits page, or view all rates here.

Q: How do I make a reservation:

A: To make a reservation request call the City’s Recreation office at (707)822-7091 or contact by email.  You can also stop by the office Monday- Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (we do not close for lunch). Our address is 736 F. Street, Arcata. Click here to read more about making reservations.

Reservations require a Certificate of Insurance of $2,000,000 liability coverage and an Endorsement naming the "City of Arcata, its officers, officials, employees, agents and volunteers" as additional insured. A deposit is also needed to make a reservation.

Q: What equipment is available for use at the facilities?

A: You can find information on the equipment that is available at each facility by viewing the facility links on the Rental Facilities and Permits page. You can also call the Recreation office at (707) 822-7091 or send us an email.

Q: What are the conditions for reserving the Softball/Baseball/Soccer fields?

A: A completed use of City Sports fields permit application is required. All applicants must pay a deposit at the time of application to reserve requested facilities. All remaining event requirements and estimated fees are due and payable 30 days prior to the scheduled event.

Reservations require a Certificate of Insurance of $2,000,000 liability coverage and an Endorsement naming the "City of Arcata, its officers, officials, employees, agents and volunteers" as additional insured. A deposit is also needed to make a reservation.

Q: Do I need to have a reservation to use a city park?

A: Not necessarily. Most city parks are open to the general public for use; however, if you would like to reserve a location we offer facility rentals for birthday parties and events. Available facilities include Larson Park Gazebo and/or Bocce Courts and the picnic area in Redwood Park.

The following conditions will require a reservation or permit: 1. Non-spontaneous large group activities consisting of 50 or more persons; 2. The charging of an admission or entrance fee; 3. The use of City facilities not ordinarily available for public use; 4. Regularly occurring organized team or league use of City sports fields or courts; 5. The sale of merchandise, food or beverages; 6. The setting up of booths, stages, vending carts or stands, kiosks, bleachers or similar structures; 7. The barricading of any City street or other street use that would impede the normal flow of traffic; 8. Aplified music or sound; 9. The need for access to City electricity; 10. The need for garbage collection specific to the activity or event; or 11. The staging or shooting of commercial motion or television pictures or still photography, exempting local businesses and tourism productions, as further defined by the City Council, when such activities do not otherwise require a City permit.

Q: How can I reserve a park or Arcata Plaza for a Special Event?

A: To reserve a park or the Arcata Plaza please contact the city's Recreation office at (707) 822-7091 or by email. Learn more about park reservations here.

Reservations require a Certificate of Insurance of $2,000,000 liability coverage and an Endorsement naming the "City of Arcata, its officers, officials, employees, agents and volunteers" as additional insured. A deposit is also needed to make a reservation.

Q: What are the City park hours?

A: Public parks are closed between sunset and sunrise, except the Plaza which is closed between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM.

Q: Where can I find maps of City parks and open spaces?

A: Maps, pictures and information on playgrounds can be found by searching  Enter your zip code and watch the map populate with local parks and playgrounds. Go outside and play! Arcata's map of open spaces can be found here.

Q: Are dogs allowed in City open spaces and parks?

A: Dogs are allowed, however they must be on a sturdy leash under 6 ft. long. Leashes protect dogs from becoming lost and from disturbing sensitive habitat and wildlife. Make sure you carry a plastic bag when walking pets and be sure to pick up after them. The Arcata Community Forest and Arcata Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary provide vital wildlife habitat. Unleashed dogs scare wild animals, interfere with nesting birds and may even injure, or sometimes kill, wildlife.

Q: Is camping allowed in City open spaces or parks?

A: Camping is illegal in City open spaces and parks as well as open flames. Violators will be cited and fined.

Q: Is it okay to remove items from City open spaces?

A: It is not okay to remove any item or natural resource including but not limited to plants, wildflowers and mushrooms. Violators will be cited and fined.

Q: Is it okay to leave my car parked in a park or open space parking lot overnight?

A: No, all City parks and open spaces, including site parking lots, close at dusk.

Q: Is there a fee associated with any of the City open spaces or parks?

A: No, there is no fee associated with the use of the hiking or biking trails.

Q: Where can I find more information on Arcata's natural habitat?

A: Learn more about Arcata's natural habitat by exploring our Environmental Services section.

Q: How do I get involved with the farm or community garden at Bayside Park?

A: To learn more about the farm, purchase a farm share or rent a garden plot, click here.

Q: How can I become an instructor for a recreational class?

A: We are always looking for instructors who are interested in leading specialty classes and workshops. If you have a skill or talent and wish to teach a class, submit your proposal to:
Arcata Recreation Division
ATTN: Recreation Coordinator
736 F Street
Arcata, CA 95521

Find more information and download an Instructor Information Packet and Contract Class Proposal Form here.

Q: How do I become a Volunteer Trail Steward?

A: Help monitor/pick up litter and assist with restoration along with the Arcata Community Forest Trails Council. Please visit for more information.

Q: How do I report broken equipment or unsafe conditions at a playground or facility?

A: Contact the Arcata Public Works Department at 707-822-5957

Q: Who should I call if the skate park gate is locked during normal hours?

A: Please contact the Arcata Police Department at 707-822-2428

Contact us at 707.822.7091