Nancy Diamond, Attorney at Law
The City Attorney is retained by the City Council to provide general legal services to the City Council, City Manager and City Departments. The City Attorney is retained by the City Council through a contract relationship, and the City Attorney's client is the City Council, not any individual Council member. The City Attorney also serves as general counsel to the City's Successor Agency to the Arcata Community Development Agency.
The City Attorney provides general legal counsel in matters pertaining to:
Legal Review and Advice
- Advises the City Council, City Manager and City staff on legal matters impacting or affecting the City
- Attends City Council meetings, and other meetings upon request
- Provides legal defense in matters pertaining to City liability and exposure
- Manages and defends the City against litigation and claims
- Prepares and reviews ordinances, resolutions, contracts, agreements, and other legal documents
- Prepares legal pleadings, reports, correspondence and other legal documents
Municipal Code Enforcement
- Enforces and prosecutes violations of the municipal code
- Supports staff in fairly enforcing community standards and codes.
The City Attorney’s role is outlined in California Government Code, sections 41801—41805, City Attorney.