Hazardous & Special

You can prevent hazardous waste by choosing non-toxic cleaning and pest control products, buying only what you need of automotive and home maintenance items and following label instructions. Click on a material to learn how to properly dispose of it:

What's Banned from the Trash and Recycling Bins (PDF) ?


Working appliances in acceptable condition can be donated. Recology Arcata (formerly Arcata Garbage Company) now offers twice/year bulky item pickup at no charge for its customers. Call 707-822-0304 for more information. Non-functioning appliances can be recycled at the Samoa Processing Facility.


Batteries should be sealed in a bag and can be dropped off at Hensel's Ace Hardware, the Samoa Processing Facility, or at Humboldt Waste Management Authority.


Humboldt Waste Management Authority provides carpet recycling. For more info, access the How-To Guide For Post Consumer Carpet Recycling In Humboldt County (PDF).


Please donate clothes, shoes, and linens in good condition. 


Computer monitors, CPU's, copiers or any equipment with a digital read out or processing board can be recycled at Samoa Processing Facility at no charge. You can also take your e-waste to Humboldt Waste Management Authority for a nominal fee of $2 for monitors and 5 cents/pound for other e-material. 


Furniture in good condition can be donated. If your furniture is not reusable, Recology Arcata (formerly Arcata Garbage Company) now offers its customers twice/year bulky item pickup at no charge. Call 707-822-0304 for more information.  You can also dispose of furniture by bringing it to Humboldt Waste Management Authority.

Light Bulbs

Dispose of household light bulbs at Samoa Processing Facility, Humboldt Waste Management Authority or up to 5 per visit at Hensel's Ace Hardware. Fluorescent tubes up to four feet can be dropped off at Hensel's Ace Hardware. Anything larger should be dropped off at Samoa Processing Facility or Humboldt Waste Management Authority.


Recology Arcata (formerly Arcata Garbage Company) offers twice/year bulky item pickup at no charge for its customers. Call 707-822-0304 for more information. Or take mattresses and box springs to Humboldt Waste Management Authority for free recycling.

Motor Oil & Filters

You can receive 40 cents/gallon for your used motor oil by taking it to a certified used oil collection center. Franklin's Service at 1903 Heindon Road, 707-822-1975, is Arcata's certified used oil collection center. Call for hours before bringing your used motor oil. 

Do you change your own motor oil? You are eligible for a free oil drain container if you live within city limits! The City of Arcata Environmental Services Department is giving out oil drain containers. Pick one up during regular business hours by bringing in proof of residency (a water bill/receipt or a rental contract/receipt).


At no charge, paint can be taken to the Samoa Processing Facility or the Humboldt Waste Management Authority for recycling.


Open Door Clinics in McKinleyville, Arcata and Eureka have drop boxes where you can drop off your left over medicines during normal business hours. Non-controlled-substances can be taken to Humboldt Waste Management Authority (HWMA) in Eureka, please call for more details or to arrange drop off at 707-441-2005. 

Please review No Drugs Down the Drain (PDF) for details on proper disposal of pharmaceuticals.


Sharps must be placed in a red "Sharps Disposal Container" before being taken to Humboldt Waste Management Authority.


Tires can be taken to Humboldt Waste Management Authority for a fee, but occasionally hosts free Tire Waste Amnesty Days.

Drop-off Facilities  
Please call ahead to confirm info!

Hensel's Ace Hardware
884 9th Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Ph: 707-822-2965

Humboldt Sanitation McKinleyville Transfer Station
2585 Central Avenue
 McKinleyville, CA
Ph: 707-839-3285

Humboldt Waste Management Authority (HWMA) Household Hazardous Waste Facility
1059 West Hawthorne Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Ph: 707-268-8680

Samoa Processing Facility (Eel River Disposal)
555 Vance Avenue
Samoa, CA 95564
Ph: 707-441-1043

HWMA Household Hazardous Waste Facility

Humboldt County's household hazardous waste drop-off facility is located at the Humboldt Waste Management Authority waste transfer station at 1059 West Hawthorne Street in Eureka. It is open the first Saturday of each month (excluding holidays) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. No appointments are required for households but there is a 15 gallon container size limit and a $5 fee. If you are a business, call to set up an appointment at 707-441-2005.

What Happens When a Mattress is Recycled?